Wednesday, June 10, 2009

snack sacks

I've been thinking about ways to recycle, renew, reuse, reduce. Earth Day is what spurred this for me. So you can see, it took me a few months to follow through on some of what I've been sorting out in my brain. There are some things we do fairly well around here.... recycling, composting, reusable bags at the stores, and just generally trying to cut down on consumer waste. One of our downfalls though, is certainly the number of plastic baggies we use for snacks and lunches. This is one of the snack bags I came up with to avoid plastic. I used fabric samples that were passed on to me from a friend's company. They work great... grapes, crackers, popcorn, apple slices... you name it! It doesn't really matter if they get gooped up. I made up about twenty of them so I can keep sending them through the laundry for reuse. I've ordered some laminated cotton for sandwich wraps and more snack sacks. The ideas I have for these are admittedly ripped off and duplicated. My friend had several for her kids. Some smart, crafty individual had made them. I'm ashamed to say that when I saw them, I traced patterns of them. Ummm... and took pictures. I do good research... what can I say? When I get the fabric, I'll whip some up to share with you. You can rip off and duplicate, too! We can all cut back on the waste together while cutting back on our monthly dollars towards plastic baggies. The best part of all is that my kids think it's big fun to get their snacks in a colorful bag, rather than the boring old plastic. Smart kids.

6 comments:

Cheryl Arkison said...

First, that is gorgeous fabric!
Second, great idea!

Melissa said...

I've been meaning to get around to something like this. What a good idea. I was all hung up on the whole "it has to have some kind of barrier between the food/fabric" thing-- but the idea of just washing them. Well. How smart are you? (and productive, I might add. I'm reveling in your creativity right now!)

Nicole said...

I guess the only reason I haven't done it yet either is, well I would think the lint would get on the food. Have you noticed any lint on your grapes or crackers?
Thanks!

Betsy said...

nice! I can't wait to copy you.

HMaas said...

I love these! Practical and cute! I found you over on the Flickr Quilt Along - glad thing I did.

Anonymous said...

I began using reusable snack/sandwich bags this year too. I always felt so guilty throwing away those plastic bags each day. The kids love to pick out the fabric for their bags so it has been a fun experience for them. "I want the one with the fish, I want the butterfly one!" I ordered mine off Etsy.