Monday, June 1, 2009

A girl's gotta sew...

This is not what I should have been doing last week. I should have been cleaning my house and getting a handle on the laundry. I had several things that had to be done, and some other real life stressors that aren't worth going on about. When I can't get a handle on my anxiety by working in the garden or with exercise, I sew.
Our friends from Australia came last week, and I just couldn't stand not to make her a bag. She's never seen my house really clean, so why start now, right? I mean, she would probably have been seriously shocked if when she arrived the house was immaculate, and the laundry was all in the drawers. She may have questioned my mental stability... I've never been much for house cleaning. Besides, our kids were stuck in the house for most of the visit due to inordinate amounts of rain. Translation... the house got trashed, anyway. Imagine four active kids, and four, sometimes more, adults in this little 900 square foot house. I'm pretty sure I heard our house sigh... no maybe it groaned.
So this is the bag I made her, and it's a pattern I came up with. I was pleased with the dimension in the end. Of course I free motion quilted it here and there. It's too much fun to draw with thread! I did restrain myself a bit on this one, though. I didn't want to interfere with the gorgeous graphic, just complement it.I'm thinking about getting some more fabric from this line and making them up for the shop. The weight of the fabric is lovely to work with and I adore the saturated colors.

7 comments:

liz @ longview builders said...

That is beautiful! I have been admiring this fabric from afar for a while. You should get more because then I can get a bag from you finally. I need a new bag! Seriously. Really I do!

Melissa said...

What is that fabric? Love it. Hope your week looks up-- the sun is certainly shining beautifully here. We THOROUGHLY enjoyed all the places you recommended this weekend. Awesome. Sending you long distance hugs and good thoughts-- maybe we can issue each other a laundry challenge to keep us honest...

Cheryl Arkison said...

That is one of the best uses of that fabric I've seen. Gorgeous! I would definitely be tempted by that bag if it was in the shop.

ilovebabyquilts said...

Perfect! Love that fabric, I have some too.

bethany said...

Lovely. The 'quilt' work is wonderful. You have a great hand.

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I just wanted to tell you I finished that book (Fruitless Fall) about bees and it was really interesting. Takes me a LONG time to get through anything but I kept thinking about this book even when I wasn't reading. Definitely sparked a new and urgent interest in me. I think I'll check the one you mentioned as well. Oh, and by the way, the bag is really nice! :) best, molly

karen said...

I love this bag - and you said free motion is like drawing with thread - light bulb goes off - I can draw. I thinks that is a break through. Thanks Bunches.

LOL the word verification is woo fears - priceless