Monday, November 3, 2008

A busy weekend

It was the usual craziness at Halloween this year, and so much fun after all is said and done. Yep. That's my kooky husband. Even though he grumbles every year about trick or treating, he clearly has a ball... the goof.

On Saturday, we spent a lazy morning putzing around the house and then got out for a walk with good friends. Would you believe our incredible fortune? A mint condition 1942 Farmall tractor came driving up out of nowhere. I'm not kidding. Each of the kids got to go for a ride. Do you know how much my kids love tractors?! We talked about it for days.


Then on Sunday, was a little trip that my friend and I have talked about doing for a while. My daughter is 5 and a half now, and we deemed her ready for a special hike, just the girls. This spot is a secret, but it's spectacular, as you can see. It also involves some clambering up rocks, and careful footing. It is not for the faint of heart mama or five year old. She was all over it.
This little adventure meant a tremendous amount to all three of us. It was symbolic in many ways... a benchmark of sorts. My friend and I have been walking (and mtn. biking) for 12 years together. My little girl knew that it was special to come with her mama on a walk that I usually reserve as my get away time. I also think she secretly savored the fact that she was invited and her brother was left behind. I could tell even during the times when she was momentarily bored that there was no way she was going to do anything to make us reconsider having brought her. It was pretty sweet and it made me realize how much she has grown up. She is already so accomplished and wise, even though she is totally and exuberantly still five.









1 comment:

Cheryl Arkison said...

Gorgeous! And so special. I need to visit and go for a ride with you.