Monday, August 31, 2009

How much can you cram into two days?

A busy, busy weekend including lots of good family time, a dear friend to dinner, swimming, fishing, a yard sale, sewing, and a nice hike with a friend. I really feel this morning as if I need a weekend to recover from the weekend. Somehow the whole school schedule has things feeling a little bit more harried around here. I guess we're just getting into our rhythm.


I found this little wooden shelf at a yard sale for a $1. I brought it home and asked my husband to dig out a dowel from his shop and drill a hole on either end. (I could have done it, but he does it soooo much faster.) Presto! My new ribbon holder... I love it when a thrifted item becomes a new invention. Plus, it's another spot for me to display the kids' artwork. Each kid created one of the works (in the picture above) on freebie matte board from a framing shop. It's tempera paint with objects used to scrap through the paint. Have you ever done it? So much fun for kids.

Then there was the "daddy project." What I love about my guy (the adult one) is he's always getting into something. This weekend they made a worm farm. I'm not exactly sure about the entire procedure. I know there was lots of "you tube" watching for research beforehand, followed by a visit to the hardware store, then a whole lot of romping around outside digging up worms.
The digging up worms part went on for most of the day. Seriously. It was perfect! I wish I'd thought of it. They probably found about 200 worms which now reside in a worm farm. The most fascinating part to me was that by the end of yesterday, the three of them were picking out worms and identifying them. Do you have any idea how many different kinds of worms there are? I didn't. Apparently all that research paid off because we now have a household full of experts. Come on over if you need some good worm lovin'.

I saved the best part for last. We harvested our honey!!!! Locust honey, so light in flavor and color, it's like drinking flowers. We were able to jar about 35 half pints from our harvest. It is exquisite. Our daughter took some to school today to share with the class. This I can hardly believe. Our own honey! You never know where life's paths may lead.








9 comments:

jen dB said...

*lovin'* this post! so much joy..

Cheryl Arkison said...

Honey? Totally cool.
And that worm farm sounds like an excellent idea. Where do you have it?

Melissa said...

Wow. What a wonderful weekend. What is the worm farm going to do? Just exist? Or are you going to use the castings for plants or something? That honey looks-- well, worth driving 3 hours with a screaming baby for...

Life of Joy said...

Wow, I have always wanted bees. But I do not think that is possible where we currently live. We would move to Ashville in a heartbeat if we could though.

the honey looks great.

Dana said...

cool mribbon holder . . . great worm farm . . . blah, blah, blah. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I be you when I grow up?

Anonymous said...

Read this yesterday. Reading it again this morning to gain hope... so much has to happen in my next 36 hrs. Bet you didn't know you were inspiring calm with your cramming?
-c

Kimara said...

Your own honey! Gosh, I jam, but you honey! That is so totally awesome. I buy our honey from a local farmer, but there is something so magical about your own. Congrats and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

your own honey??? That is so wonderful! And I love your thrifting find! And the worms - my kids would love digging up worms too!

Noreen said...

Ok, this is my last one for today. Just had to let you know how very much we enjoyed the honey!! It was gone in a little over a week. DEElicious!! Thank You!! Every pre-school or kindergarten class should have a worm farm. The more I read about your life the more I think you should write a book. Heck, you do everything else. Hugs and kisses!!