Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Waste reduction

Ha ha. The title... get it? That's not waist reduction... nope, not mine. Maybe I'm getting punchy as we're half way through our summer. I've notice that right before our garden starts busting out the tomatoes, I get a little stir crazy... every year. It's like I just can't wait for the menu to change over. Of course, it could be that by mid July, a large percentage of my brain cells have been sacrificed by meeting kids' constant needs.

So here's the sandwich wrap. I like the way this opens up into an impromptu place mat for my kids. You fold the sides together first, and then the top, using the velcro to hold the fold in place. I'm becoming a little overzealous in my approach to cutting out plastic baggies, but it excites me to feel like I am making a difference. I zipped around the Internet for 5 minutes and according to waste-freelunches.org

“Much of the trash we generate comes from the packaging on the food we buy, and lunch foods are no exception. In fact, it has been estimated that on average a school-age child using a disposable lunch generates 67 pounds of waste per school year. That equates to 18,760 pounds of lunch waste for just one average-size elementary school.”
Saving a little space in the landfill works for me. No big deal, really. These hand wash or you can throw them in the machine. Air dry.

5 comments:

ilovebabyquilts said...

So cute!

liz @ longview builders said...

I like it! We should all be using these this school year!

Melissa said...

I want to try these... and I looked at your post from yesterday, too. We radically changed the way we eat a few months ago-- it was the week I said "so to keep our bill here, we need to only spend $90 a week at EarthFare" and it hit me how crazy that sounds, since that was in addition to our Harris Teeter trip. We started eating only what I can buy in the bulk section-- we eat beans and brown rice probably three times a week-- lots of pastas with fresh veggies (only what's on sale) and our bill for 4 is under $75 a week, which I feel pretty good about. Good luck with all of it-- especially saving the veggies from the kiddo-- I've been waging war against him eating th green tomatoes all week.

noreen said...

Good Morning!!! These are most clever and I need to purchase some asap from you. I always pack Julia's lunch and despise using sandwich bags everyday. Your an impressive woman! LOVE & HUGS, Noreen

Becca said...

Duh. Why didn't I think of that?! I've been annoyed about wasting wax paper/foil for ages! Thanks for posting! You made my (excited by little things) day!