Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Tomatoes!!!








We are finally getting to eat these luscious beauties just in the last week or so. They are filling up our window sill, many of them working hard to achieve that ruby blush. The kids go out to collect them several times a day like candy. I'm not sure that we'll have many left over to dry. I beg them to leave them on the vine just a little longer, but who really wants to put rules all over children's harmless glee? We're just gobbling them up and enjoying the present. There are so many amazing ways to consume tomatoes! The kids eat them whole like apples as soon as they pick them. Luckily, I've gotten a few into the house. My favorite is still fresh slices of mozzarella, tomatoes, basil ( also from the garden), all layered and drizzled in balsamic vinagerette. This, to me, is summer. It just doesn't get better than tomatoes from your garden... should be a bumper sticker, if you ask me.






No comments: