Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day to You...

On the way to school today, my daughter and I talked about Earth Day. Caring for the environment isn't a new concept in our family, but it was interesting to hear her perspective based on this year's public school experience. (Sometimes this school is environmentally proactive, but I think it's safe to sum up their premise is to "talk the talk" with kids, but "not walk the walk" of diligent environmental stewardship. It's easy to criticize, of course, when really I need to step up to the plate and offer my time to facilitate those changes at the school. I, myself, struggle with my own commitment to least harm versus convenience versus amount in the bank account.)



My daughter had concluded that we better start taking care of our earth because we only get one. I liked that and agreed whole-heartedly. She decided also, that she would like to make a sign when she got home to post at the bottom of our drive asking people not to litter because "it hurts the earth." It was interesting to hear her thought processes about the need for this sign. I think she truly believed that some adults just don't know about this, and that her sign would give them the information they needed to make good choices. Her six year-old logic floored me, because that is, exactly how it should be. But it's not... and I didn't have the heart to tell her that many adults have information and still choose hurtful behaviors. Instead, I'll embrace her enthusiasm and do everything I can to foster her commitment to her planet and optimistic ideals. When she gets home, we'll be making (and posting) a sign.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

When do I get to tour your garden is my first question?! If you notice some mysterious stranger trying to surreptitiously uproot volunteer seedlings some day, do not be alarmed, it's just me...

and I love your daughter's optimism. I know you will help her to hold onto that as long as possible-- and I can't wait to see her sign!